The Krishen Jit ASTRO Fund has been created by ASTRO and Five Arts Centre to encourage and support creative work in Malaysia. One of the main objectives of Krishen’s pioneering work was celebrating original Malaysian creativity in as varied and alternative ways as possible in all the areas of the arts.
His groundbreaking theatre practice straddled and brought together a wide range of contrasting spheres, producing projects that were inter-disciplinary, multicultural, multilingual and experimental. Negotiating between academia and practice, tradition and contemporary pop culture, Hollywood and Bollywood, the mainstream and the marginalized, Krishen’s work articulated a Malaysian identity that was ever evolving and encouraged practitioners and audiences to reflect on their lives and societies.
This is the spirit of the Krishen Jit ASTRO Fund.
· Au Sow Yee for The 4th Dimension: Mapping The Imaginary Cinema, a film installation and performance.
· Sharon Chin for Sensors: Banned Books & Other Monsters, an interactive installation and exhibition.
· Dr. Ray Langenbach – for Malaysian Performance Video Archives Project.
In 2007, the Fund received 27 applications. The 3 grantees were:
· Amir Muhammad for the film Punggok Rindukan Bulan.
· Hardesh Singh and CH Loh for the CD Faith Hope Chaos: Malaysian Contemporary Music Vol. 1 anthology.
· Lim Kok Yoong for Let Arts Move You, an exhibition and engaged arts project in commuter trains and train stations.
In 2008, the Fund received 47 applications. The 4 grantees were:
· Carolyn Lau for The Light Show exhibition.
· Chris Chong for the film Karaoke.
· Fahmi Reza for the Projek Hari Hartal documentation project.
· FINDARS collective for The Rain Project, a series of monthly experimental arts presentations.
In 2009, the Fund received 59 applications. The 5 grantees were:
· Beverly Yong for a major book of essays on Malaysian art.
· Fauzi Yusoff for Satu Hari, an audio-visual documentary.
· Pentas Project for A Word in A Year, a collaborative theatre project.
· KongHwee and Ying for a book of stories entitled Orang Asli Animal Tales.
· Tan Nan See for an alternative solo exhibition entitled Artist Sojourn.
In 2010, the fund received 60 applications. The 4 grantees were:
· Ho Sheau Fung, Aida Redza and Lisa Foo (Ombak-Ombak ARTStudio) for the River Art Project.
· Chong Sheau Ching (Corpcom Services Sdn Bhd) for A Portrait of Perserverance, a women’s video journal project.
· Suzy Sulaiman (Re-cap) for the Digital Architecture Heritage Trail: Suffolk House, Penang.
· Adrian Pereira for the Desa Mentari Youth Project, a community arts project.
Once again, in 2011, the fund will give out grants ranging from RM2,000 to RM20,000 for :
- Experimental productions
- Research and documentation
- Creating new work in music, dance, theatre, writing, film, visual/performance art
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Artist A might want to study under a well known theatre director. Artist A could apply to be attached to a production directed by the director for a 4-6 week period. This would give artist A insights and learning on methods of this director.
- Artist B might want to do research on a subject for purposes of writing a new script. Artist B could apply to do this research and write the script.
- Artist C could apply to direct and mount an experimental workshop or production.
- Artist D could apply to attend a training workshop within or outside of Malaysia.
- Attachments and internships.
The Krishen Jit ASTRO Fund will try to be inclusive, but work sited in Malaysia will be given preference. All arts practitioners inMalaysia are eligible to apply. The fund will be managed by Five Arts Centre and ASTRO.
The selection panel for awarding the grants shall comprise:
- Dato’ Norliza Rofli – Director, Department of Culture and Arts, Ministry of Information, Communication and Culture, Malaysia
- Jolyn Gasper – Head, Corporate Responsibility, Community Affairs, ASTRO
- Leow Puay Tin – Head, Department of Performance & Media, Sunway University College.
- Ravi Navaratnam – Five Arts Centre
- Mac Chan – Five Arts Centre
Application procedure - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. You may apply in English or Bahasa Malaysia.
2. Please keep your application limited to material that directly supports your application and our understanding of your work.
3. Your completed application with all information (including CV) should not exceed 10 pages. Each application should have only one project proposal.
4. Please use Times New Roman, point size 11 in your application.
5. You must complete all sections of the application form. Please follow the order given. Applications that do not follow the required format will be rejected.
6. The selection panel reserves the right to call applicants for interview should the need arise.
Please mail all applications to:
Five Arts Centre
27 & 27A Lorong Datuk Sulaiman 7
Taman Tun Dr Ismail
60000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel / Fax + 6 03 77254858
www.fiveartscentre.org Or email to: email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS 31 AUGUST 2011
Name of applicant
Name of project director
Name of company
Description of the project
Objectives of the project – list a maximum of 4 main objectives
Tangible outcomes of the project – list a maximum of 2 tangible outcomes
Profile of those involved in the project – all bios should not exceed 100 words per bio (list most important projects)
Significance of the project
Time frame of the project
Dissemination plan of your project – how your project will reach a wide audience.
Objectives of your past/present/future work or Artist’s statement (what is your philosophy as an artist?)
Main activities/past history
CV of applicant
Annual number of projects and annual expenditure of these projects
Which other funding organizations have you applied to?
What amounts do you expect from these organizations?
What are your plans for this project if this application is not successful?
Any additional information that you think will help the selection panel have a clearer understanding of your project - e.g. visuals / videos / synopses of plays, scripts, dance / storyboards / samples of your work / if you are a writer, samples of your writing / etc.
Name of Account holder
Name of Bank and Branch
Type of account
Address of Bank/Branch
Five Arts Centre
27 & 27A, Lorong Datuk Sulaiman 7, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail
60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Phone / Fax: +6 03 77254858